This one-day practical course will provide technicians with the knowledge and skills required to make most of the simple bends, and other items required for gas preparation, in most science departments. It will also demonstrate how some items of broken glass equipment can be repaired.
• introduction to types of glass, their properties, uses and safe handling and different types of burners
• cutting and polishing tubes and rods
• simple glass bends and more advanced bending including double bends
• how to safely insert and remove glass into and from bungs
• sealing wire into glass, repairing glass
• making a decorative glass bead